Kids of all-ages are invited to our annual-learn-to-fish event for kids on Sunday, June 3rd, from 8 a.m. – noon at Oakhurst Forest Preserve in Aurora.
The Forest Preserve District will be supplying the fishing gear and bait, though you’re welcome to bring your own gear, if you like.
Volunteers will help teach kids about the sport of fishing and the underwater ecosystem during this hands-on, family-friendly event at Lake Patterson.
This event is free for kids of all-ages, accompanied by a parent or guardian. If you have fishing experience and would like to help kids learn to bait, cast, catch and release, call our volunteer coordinator at 630-762-2741 to become an official District volunteer.
Sponsors for the event include Bass Pro Shops, CVS Pharmacy and SS Minnows Bait Shop. Also during the event, special guest and Author, Robert Renteria will be autographing and giving complimentary copies of his books, “From the Barrio to the Board Room,” and “Little Barrio,” an activity coloring book. Renteria is the first and only Latino to have received two national Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Awards for his work as a civil rights leader, and is a Latino voice in educational reform. He received the Outstanding International Humanitarian Award for promoting global peace and education. His books are being taught to students in classrooms across America and in over 25 other countries.
Come out and enjoy this wonderful event!
Have you always wanted to kayak, but wanted to get some guidance first? This summer, enjoy a series of paddling adventures along different stretches of the Fox River. The series begins with shorter and less-strenuous sessions for beginners. As the summer progresses, there will be increasingly longer paddles for intermediate skill levels.
Each session includes instruction on basic kayaking techniques from a professional kayaking instructor, a kayak, personal flotation device and paddle. After the introductory training, we’ll take to the water for a naturalist-led exploration of the fascinating plants and wildlife along the waterway.
Sessions include a half-hour of instruction, followed by 2.5 – 4.5 hours of scenic paddling, along different stretches of the Fox River. Dates and locations for sessions are below:
- Session 2 (Beginner; 3-4 miles) -Saturday, June 9; 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. at Voyageur Landing Forest Preserve, 50 Airport Rd., Elgin
- Session 3 (Beginner – Intermediate; 6-7 miles) – Saturday, July 14; 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. at Jon J. Duerr Forest Preserve, 35W003 IL Rte. 31, South Elgin
- Session 4 (Beginner – Intermediate; 6-7 miles) – Saturday, Aug. 11; 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. at Jon J. Duerr Forest Preserve, 35W003 IL Rte. 31, South Elgin
- Session 5 (Intermediate; 4-5 miles with portage) – Sunday, Sept. 9; 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. at Fabyan Forest Preserve, 1925 Batavia Ave., Rte. 31, Geneva
- Session 6 (Intermediate; 7 miles with portage) – Saturday, Oct. 6; 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. at Glenwood Park Forest Preserve, 1644 South River St., Batavia
The fee for a single kayak for sessions 2-6 are $69 per person and includes use of kayak, personal flotation device and paddle. If you provide your own kayak and equipment, the fee is $35 per person, which includes shuttle service.
Advance registration is required at least 2 weeks prior to the program, with payment required at the time of registration. Call 630-444-3190 or email email@example.com to register.
Rain will not stop a paddle, but trips may be cancelled (with full refund) due to lightning, low air/water temps, or unsafe water levels.